Is it Possible to Change University After Scheduling a US Student Visa Appointment? | GyanDhan

MY CASE IS A LITTLE BIT different please help, getting an appointment was difficult, I was to go for an interview by August but I was only able to book an appointment for November. I have to send my i20 back to school for another. how will I link all my data with the sevis fee and I 20 with the interview date.

how can i link my new i20 with previously booked appointment

Hi @John_O_Israel

Give me some time to figure out a solution to your problem. I will update the answer soon. Thank you for your patience.

Hi @John_O_Israel

When you first received your I-20, it came with a unique SEVID ID and a barcode. This SEVIS ID is required to book the visa appointment. Now, since you have received a new I-20, you will have to update the same in your visa application.
As per your post, you have already booked the visa appointment. The steps you need to take -

  1. Go to the FMJFEE website. Check your application status.
  2. If there is a valid record, you will see a transfer button. Click it.
  3. You will be prompted to fill in the new SEVID number and school information. enter details and submit.
  4. On your official email address (the one you are using for correspondence), you will receive an email of the transfer request. A second email that you will get will have the status of your application. If your transfer request is accepted, print the details. If rejected, it will have an explanation.
  5. Create a new DS-160 form and fill in the new SEVIS number and submit.
  6. Since you have already made the visa appointment and paid the fees, update the DS-160 confirmation number and SEVIS ID on the CGI Federal website.

No need to pay for the interview again since you have not attended it.
If, for whatever reason, you are unable to update the information on the CGI website, then take both old and new DS-160 forms for the interview.

Hope this helps. Thank you for your patience. If you still face any issue, do post on the thread and I will get back to you.
All the best!

I had booked visa Slot on dec 1st and Nov 30 as finger prints for admission into Univserity of south alabama. Paid Sevis Fee & updated DS 160 on 24.11.2021. On 25.11.21 (Early hours), i received I20 from better college (University of hosuton clear lake), now i want to transfer Sevis , is it possible in the given short period of time. If possible, please tell the steps to be followed.

please reply urgently.

Thanks & Regards
Venkatesh Kunchamwar

Hi @venkateshkunchamwar

The processing time for transferring SEVIS is 2-4 business days.

The process to transfer SEVIS -

  1. Visit the FMJFEE website.
  2. Click on the ‘Check Status’ page where you will be prompted to enter the SEVIS ID number, last name, and date of birth.
  3. If there is a valid SEVIS fee record, you will see a green button of ‘Request Transfer’ under the print confirmation button. Click on it.
  4. Once you click on it, you will be prompted to -
  • confirm/update your email address.
  • confirm/update your mailing address.
  • enter your new SEVIS ID number.
  • enter your new school code or program number.

Once you have completed the steps and updated the information, you will receive a confirmation email. After your request is reviewed, you will receive an email either approving your request with information to print the new I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment Confirmation. Or you will receive an email rejecting the request with an explanation for rejection.

I hope this answer helps you. If you are unable to follow the steps or face any problem in the process, please post on the thread and I will find an appropriate solution for you.
All the best!

Hello I have got my visa so, after getting visa i have realised that i need to change my university and course. The university for which i have got visa is starting in JAN 2021 and the desired university which i want admission is starting in March 2021. So after studying for 3 months can i move to desired university if they will provide me new I-20 or i have to complete my full semester? OR should i defer and meanwhile apply for desired university

NOTE:-I didnt even have offer letter or I-20 for the desired university

Hi @Md_Hyder

I would advice you to defer your admission and then apply to your desired university. Mainly because you don’t even have an offer letter from your target university. Moreover, transfer admissions have a separate timeline with several steps, and it is quite tough to get in as compared to the normal admission cycle. During transfer admissions, universities look for students with excellent academic record.

→ Next, if you have not completed 2 terms (semesters) or a year before transferring, you will require a ‘Letter of Release’ from your university. You mentioned that you will transfer after 3 months. This may not be possible. However, I will suggest contacting the International Student Advisor to confirm this.

If you can mention the university you are targeting, I can cross check the transfer admission requirements for the same.
But I would suggest waiting to get the offer letter from your target university.

Hope this helps.

DS160 not submitted,visa fee paid,sevis fee not paid,Visa slot booked how to update my new sevis I’d??

Hi @Manasa_Reddy_Kasarla
Yes you can update the Sevis ID in your profile on the CGI Federal website. First you have to fill a DS-160 form and then update ‘SEVIS ID’ in your profile on the CGI federal Website. This can be done by logging in to your official account on CGI.

Moreover, I would like to tell you about it in detail. Before directly telling the answer, let me give you a gist of what you must carry on the interview day.

At the time of your interview, you will have to present mainly the following documents :-

Your DS-160 barcode receipt (the barcode number on the Form DS-160 confirmation page is required in order to book your interview),

-MRV receipt,

-Sevis fee receipt (pay Sevis fee at least 3 days prior to you interview),

-Original I-20 / DS-2019,


-Financial Guarantee,

-Photo, etc.

Thus, you are advised to pay the Sevis fee and also fill up the DS-160. It will minimize any chances of doubt from the authority’s side.

You should also note that on the students’ part, students are required to pay the SEVIS Fee, which is at present at USD 350.

So, you are recommended to pay this fee before they start filling their Visa Application Form (DS 160) as the receipts of the payments are sent by post and might take up to 15 days to arrive.

Thus, while you appear for your interview make sure that you have paid the required fee for DS-160 form and Sevis fee also.

I hope this helps you.

Hello, @himanshi.sharma , @vishakha.bhagia
I have a similar case as Manasa_Reddy_Kasarla i.e…
DS160 not submitted,visa fee paid but slot not booked,sevis fee not paid. how to update to the new sevis I’d in visa appointment booking??
You mentioned that one can update ‘SEVIS ID’ from their CGI profile in your answer. But I don’t see any option to update SEVIS ID, I can only update the DS-160 number.


Hello @AMULYA_BOYAPATI_17BC , Were you able to change ur sevis id?

Hello @prajwal_chandra_r ,
Were you able to change the Sevis ID later? If not, how did you resolve this?

@Yashpreet_Singh @vishakha.bhagia - I have a similar problem on updating sevis id in cgi profile. Were you able to update it? How did you do it?

Appreciate your help on this.

Hi ,
I have appeared for an visa interview with a University A and got my visa approved, later I received admit form University B. So then i opted choose to University B then I started mailing the University A saying I need to transfer to University B then the University A mailed me saying this
If you are already in the U.S., University A will not be able to transfer your record to the B since their start date is 08/26/2022. Again, your best option is to enter the U.S. with the I-20 from University B or to leave the U.S. and re-enter with the University B’s I-20 if you have entered the U.S. I’m in India itself and mailed them saying I was in India this was after my visa approved. Can you help what to do in this kind of situation.


That’s a tricky situation for you.

The best you can do is to contact University A and ask them to transfer the SEVIS ID to College B.

Fill out the DS-160 form again for University B.

I hope this helps you out.

Also, could you please explain your reason for transferring from University A to B?

I have obtained an F1 visa to study at University A, but I want to change the university to University B. Is this how I make a transfer to the sevis no and sevis payment from the embassy website and from the university and book an appointment for a new interview at the embassy or what?
And if I do not need to obtain a new visa, what is the position of the visa that I currently have, knowing that the name of the university and the sevis no on it.
Secondly, should I do the same with my wife and daughter visa?

For the F-1 visa, all you need to do is ask your university A to transfer your SEVIS information to university B. You don’t need to follow the steps from the beginning.
I’m assuming you are referring here to the dependent visa for your daughter and wife visa.
If that’s the scenario, the same step would be followed for their visa too.
Hope this answer helps you out.
If you still feel confused, please reply to this comment.

Do I need to book an interview appointment at the embassy and pay the application for all of us again to change the name of the university on the visa I obtained?


I have an F1 visa issued in July for one university in US and unfortunately after receiving the visa only got more information about the university and decided not pursue.

Now I am applying for another university and interview is scheduled for next month.

Is it possible to apply for a new visa? Please advise whether I should apply for a new visa or transfer the existing visa. I have received new I20 from new university and previous I20 is cancelled by the old university.

While checking online it’s understood not possible to get a new visa when there is already a student visa issued, under such circumstances is it possible to cancel the already issued visa and apply for a new visa.

Please advise about the sevis also.