Is it Possible to Change University After Scheduling a US Student Visa Appointment? | GyanDhan

Any Indian student accepted to a US university for further studies requires a study visa. There are three categories of student visa USA – F1, J1, and M1. To apply for an F (for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees) or M (for technical or vocational programs) student visa, one needs a document called Form I-20. To apply for J class student visa (for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs), one needs Form DS-2019. The college to which you are admitted will send you the I-20 or DS-2019 form, depending upon the type of visa you are supposed to apply for. It is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) of the college which generates the required form. SEVIS is the platform through which the US government tracks and monitors international students.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at