Why is Germany a Good Option for Abroad Education Post-COVID 19? | GyanDhan

It would be an understatement to say that coronavirus has changed the way the world worked. With schools, colleges, offices, shopping complexes, and many other places being shut, the world indeed came to a halt that seemed indefinite. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/why-is-germany-good-option-for-abroad-education-post-covid

Hello,
You can ask the questions here !

Aman

1 Like

Please address what level of knowledge of the German language is required for an admission in German universities. And also address in what time can we achieve that level of proficiency. If I’m starting out my prep now can I learn German if my goal is fall 2021

Do Universities consider the ranking of my Graduating university/collage, as in higher ranking university it difficult to get good grades.

Would a student have to study German along with his/her usual academic study to enter the german workforce?

I graduated from BITS Pilani University, after that I got a good job and worked for 14 months. Thn there is a gap between my job and application to university. Does it matters?

For the block account we were asked to open immediately after the application, is it a kind of a reserved account for the students?

What happens when the students isn’t admitted. Is it money refundable?

Is it worthy to apply for winter online 2020, because we apply for MS in Germany for the exposure that we get there… Regarding tenc and different auto giants… and one semister is going to be digital…
And
One more question… Will this COVID pandemic increase the competition for the next year?

What is the range of expenses that an Indian student can expect for a MS in Germany. Basically how much would it cost? And are there any internships or TAs positions for foreign students for courses taught in english.

What is the difference between Summer and Winter semester?

Hi Aman, could you please send the recording of this seminar like you did for the previous one. Thanks.

Hi @SHUBHAM

Here is the link to the recording:

Aman

Thank you so much Aman.

Replying on behalf of the speaker -

Yes, as I mentioned before, we don’t usually recommend programs taught in German. German language proficiency is not necessary for your application. You can do that as part of your getting along with your colleagues or friends. But if you do want to get German language proficiency, there is a basic course that you can take in Germany. You can also take the course online and offline in your city. If you need more information about the institutes in your city, do contact us.
It does help in getting a job. If you want to start now and you are able to start now, it would be good to start at an A1 level and try to get to B2 level.

We get students from various colleges get admission in German universities. They probably consider the rank of Indian colleges. But they don’t want their entire class to be homogeneous. They want their student body to reflect the diversity of skill sets and talent. Students who get into German universities are not all from good ranking colleges as talent can come from anywhere.
It will be good to have a degree from a top ranking college but not having a degree from one won’t harm your chances either. More importantly, in your SOP you need to be very clear about how you will be benefiting from a course in Germany and how you will be able to contribute to the program.

Good grades and good colleges do matter. But you can make a difference by articulating what you can contribute to your field from a degree from that university. Your application will be reviewed holistically. Your letter of recommendations will also make a difference. If you have work experience then it is an added advantage.

Having proficiency in the German language is going to help you a lot. Even though English is widely spoken in Germany, in order to get along with your fellow mates and colleagues, it will be helpful if you are able to communicate with them in their language. To that extent, it is an advantage if you have proficiency in German.

You can start your German learning here in India or you can enroll for the course there. If you plan on being employed in Germany for the long run, language proficiency is a desired skill. It goes a long way with your employers.

The course itself will not require the students to learn the language. But for continued association with the German people, it is advisable to learn the language.

It doesn’t matter but it wouldn’t look good as the applications are very competitive. When your application gets compared to another person’s application, the admissions committee would want to know what you did with the gap period, what skills you picked. Even if you didn’t work or take any structured lessons, what are some insights that you developed to help you grow personally? So if you are able to explain how that gap period contributed to your personal development, that would be helpful.

I would say ‘yes’ to both.

As I said, many universities are closing their applications as there are only two weeks for the deadline, and they have received too many applications already. We would encourage you to apply anyway because even if the course is online and you are going for a consecutive program, you are going to get a degree from an international university at a very nominal cost where you don’t even have to pay the living expenses. The cost is minimal and the quality and the value of the education is tremendous. An online semester will be equally valuable.

Yes, it is possible that it will increase the competition as a lot of students who are planning to attend in-person classes will be deferring their admits. And if their deferrals are accepted by the university then some of the seats are already filled up. Germany anyway has a lot of clauses - so if there are fewer seats, applications will also be restricted. There will be significant competition, not just in Germany but everywhere and in just about every sector. It will be a rat race everywhere as the economies try to recover.

If you are going for a consecutive course, you will be paying a minimal cost of administrative fee, which is 215 (or so) Euros. Other than that, the funds in the block account are mandatory for your living expenses.
If it is not a consecutive program, your cost of tuition can be anywhere from 6000 Euros a semester to 20,000 Euros a year. These are the kind of costs you can expect depending on the course you are applying.

TA internships - not entirely impossible. It will be competitive. Offer will be made with the admit letter.

The Winter intake is the most popular intake as it is the start of the academic year. Most number of courses are offered in the Winter intake. So typically students tend to go for Winter intakes.
Summer intake is the second semester.

Drawbacks for starting in the Summer intake - For example, career fairs are offered in March/April. So a student who has been there for one semester will be better poised to attend the fair. So a big advantage to apply for the Winter intake is getting ready for the career fair.