USA visa enquire

I have been recently admitted to university A and have already paid my SEVIS fee. However, when I tried to book an appointment after paying the appointment fee, I discovered that the available appointment date was in July 2024, while the school’s start date is in January. In an attempt to secure an earlier appointment, I opted for an emergency date. Unfortunately, the emergency appointment was canceled before the scheduled time, and I did not meet the required number of days to qualify for another emergency appointment. As a result, I am not eligible to apply for an emergency appointment. Considering this situation, I am now considering changing schools since my current university has indicated that I would need to reapply if I decide to pursue admission elsewhere.

Upon learning about this, I am now interested in applying to a second university, university B. However, I have concerns regarding how to update my DS-120 form to reflect the information for my new intended school. Additionally, I would like to know if this change would affect my appointment slot. I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Hi Sandra,

In this case, all you need to do is transfer the SEVIS from University A to University B. You do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again for the new university.


  • To transfer the SEVIS fee to another university, go on to the Student and Exchange Visitor (SEVP) I-901 SEVIS fee processing website and fill in the required details for payment status.
  • Click on the transfer button.
  • The website will prompt you to fill in the SEVIS ID and school code of the new university. Enter the correct details and submit.
  • You will receive an email for the transfer request.
  • A second email will either confirm your transfer or deny it. If your transfer request is approved, print the new details for later use. In case your request is rejected, the email will have an explanation.

Once you have the new SEVIS number, follow the steps mentioned below:

  • Since you’ve submitted the DS-160 for the previous university, you will need to fill out a new form for the new university.
  • Fill out the new DS-160 form with the details of your new university.
  • Submit the new DS-160 and print confirmation.
  • Book an appointment.
  • Take the new DS-160 confirmation page to the scheduled appointment.

For more information click here

Hope this helps!

Hello, thank you for the update. Apparently, I have decided to stick with my old university by deferring my studies until the fall. Will I need to fill out a new DS-160 form? Also, what happens to my SEVIS since the new I-20 issued by my school now has a new SEVIS number?

Secondly, I have my uncle as a sponsor. Is that okay, even though I’m married?"

Hi Sandra,

Please note that there is no need to pay the visa fee again as you have not attended the interview. If for some reason you are not able to update the SEVIS ID or the DS-160 confirmation number on CGI federal website, carry both the old and new DS confirmation pages to your OFC interview & tell the officials about the university change.

1 Like