University change after visa stamp

I wish to change my university , although I have received visa .I haven’t entered the US yet . What are my options ? Please help me out @vishakha.bhagia

1 Like

If you have received a visa for studying in the United States but wish to change your university before entering the country, there are a few options available to you:

  1. Contact the new university: Reach out to the admissions office or international student services at the new university you wish to attend. Explain your situation and inquire about their policy for accepting transfer students or changing universities before arrival. They will provide you with guidance on the process and any necessary documentation.
  2. Inform the current university: Notify the admissions office or designated department at your current university about your decision to change institutions. They will guide you through their specific procedures for withdrawing your admission or deferring it to a later term.
  3. Transfer your SEVIS record: If you have an active SEVIS record (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System), the new university may be able to initiate a transfer process on your behalf. This process allows your student record and visa to be transferred from your current university to the new institution. Work closely with both the current and new universities to ensure a smooth transfer.
  4. Obtain a new I-20: If the new university accepts your transfer or issues you a new admission, they will provide you with a new I-20 form. This document is essential for your visa application and entry into the United States. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the new university regarding the issuance of the new I-20.
  5. Update your visa information: Once you have the new I-20 form from the new university, you may need to update your visa information. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in your country to inquire about the process for updating your visa with the new university’s information. They will guide you through any necessary steps or documentation required.

It’s important to note that the specific procedures and requirements for changing universities before entering the United States can vary. It is advisable to contact both your current and new universities for accurate and up-to-date information regarding the transfer process. Additionally, consult with the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country for guidance on updating your visa information.

Remember to initiate the transfer process and make the necessary changes as early as possible to avoid any potential complications or delays.