Loan amount for Student Visa undergraduate UK

So I will be taking an education loan for my undergraduate studies starting from September 2024. I will be going to either Imperial College London and King’s Colllege London for an integrated masters degree. I will receive CAS by the mid to end of august.
Should I take loan that covers the entire of my tuition fees for all years or can I take some amount? My fees will be around 1.5 cr for the whole program and to secure this amount of loan I will require collateral. I do have one but it won’t be enough for this amount of loan.
I was thinking of taking either collateral/collateral free loan of about 75 lacs or some amount in these respects.
Will that cause any issue to my Visa application? Since they say they want to see that I can pay for my first year tuition and living costs so…?
If this will cause a problem to my visa application, what steps should I take?

If you are planning to take a loan that only partially covers your tuition fees (e.g., ₹75 lakhs), it’s crucial to ensure that you can meet the visa requirements. Here’s what you need to consider:

1. First-Year Tuition Fees: Ensure that you have enough funds (loan or otherwise) to cover your first-year tuition fees. This can be demonstrated through a combination of personal savings, parental support, scholarships, and loans.

2. Living Costs: You need to show that you have enough funds to cover your living costs for the first year. This could be through personal funds or the loan amount.

So if I take Rs 75 lakhs loan which is covering my first year tuition and living costs more than needed, what else do I need to show apart from the loan statement? Will they also ask on how I plan to pay my fees in the next years?
Will I be required to show bank statements or other things as well?
Should I then take 1cr loan which will be covering my costs for 2 years?

When you’re applying for a student visa, especially with a substantial loan like Rs 75 lakhs, it’s important to demonstrate not just how you’ll cover your first year, but also your entire study period. Here’s how you can prepare:

1. Future Funding Plan: Yes, you will likely need to show how you plan to fund the remainder of your studies beyond the first year. This is crucial because visa authorities want to ensure that students have sufficient funds to complete their education without financial stress, which could lead them to seek unauthorized employment.
  2. Additional Documentation: Apart from the loan statement, you might be asked to provide:
  • Bank statements: To show that you have enough liquidity for immediate expenses or any financial emergencies.
  • Scholarship letters: If you have any scholarships, include the award letters as part of your financial documentation.
  • Sponsorship letters: If someone is sponsoring part of your education, like a family member, their financial documents might also be required.
  • A detailed budget: Prepare a breakdown of your expenses and how you plan to meet them with your available funds. This shows you understand the financial commitment and are prepared to manage it responsibly.
  1. Larger Loan Consideration: Taking a larger loan to cover two years might seem like a straightforward solution, but consider a few things:
  • Interest: Larger loans accrue more interest, so consider whether you can manage the larger debt.
  • Approval Chances: Sometimes, showing you have secured funds for a longer period can strengthen your visa application, as it reassures the authorities of your financial stability.
  • Flexibility: More funds might give you more flexibility in managing unexpected costs or changes in your financial situation.

Before deciding on increasing your loan amount, weigh the pros and cons carefully. It might also be beneficial to consult with a financial advisor or speak to the financial aid office at your university to explore the best options tailored to your specific circumstances.

1 Like

Keeping all of this in mind. Should I go for a Rs 70 lakhs loan that covers 2 years tuition fees or Rs 1 cr loan that will cover all the 3 years of tuition fees.
I am more inclined towards option 1, so if I will need to show my bank statements and everything with that one, how much liquidity must be there in the bank?

For deciding between a Rs 70 lakh loan covering two years and a Rs 1 crore loan covering three years, it’s vital to consider both your immediate and future financial stability. Given your inclination towards the first option, here’s how you can approach your visa application effectively:

1. Demonstrate Liquidity: As part of your visa application, showing sufficient liquidity in your bank account is crucial. It’s recommended to have enough funds to cover at least the first year’s living expenses, in addition to the tuition covered by the loan. This amount should ideally reflect the cost of living in the city where you’ll be studying, plus a little extra for unforeseen expenses. A good rule of thumb is to maintain a buffer that equals or exceeds six to twelve months of living expenses, depending on the city’s cost of living. This demonstrates to visa officers that you can handle unforeseen expenses and financial emergencies without jeopardizing your stay and studies.
  2. Future Funding Proof: For the third year, you’ll need to show a credible plan for funding. This can include:
  • Projected savings: If you or your family plan to save up the required amount in the coming years.
  • Potential scholarships: Indicate any scholarships you plan to apply for.
  • Income from legal work opportunities: Depending on your visa conditions, you might be allowed to work part-time.

This structured approach ensures you’re prepared for visa scrutiny and sets a clear financial path for your entire study duration abroad.