Is it the right choice for me?

After completing my business degree, I found myself yearning for more direction. Intrigued by market research and IT submajors like database basics, I decided to delve into a Master's in Business Analytics, driven by a genuine passion for the subject.

However, the forum community threw me a curveball, suggesting that a master’s might not be the quickest route. Instead, they propose fast-tracking into the business or data analytics realm with Google certificates.

Meanwhile, friends are encouraging me to secure a full-time job, highlighting the importance of starting my career at 25. Navigating the current job market, though, has proven to be quite a challenge.

Yes, pursuing a degree is beneficial, but it’s crucial not to accumulate overwhelming debt in the process. From my perspective as a Director of Analytics at a Fortune 500 firm, I suggest considering a data-related job first and pursuing education while working. This way, you can apply what you learn directly to your job, creating a win-win scenario.

This approach not only enhances your skill set but also sets you apart from your peers. While you might not encounter a plethora of new material, you’ll begin to “learn how to learn better,” if that makes sense. There are numerous excellent school choices available today, with programs like Georgia Tech’s standing out, for instance.

I’ve had extensive experience in hiring data professionals and reviewing countless resumes as a leader of a global team. When seeking advice, be cautious if individuals offering opinions haven’t been in a hiring position themselves.

Feel free to reach out via PM for further insights or enquiry

Feeling confused about navigating the data analytics world is common. While a Master’s offers comprehensive knowledge and networking, consider faster and more affordable options like Google certificates to quickly gain relevant skills. Balancing career advice and job search pressure can be tough. Prioritize finding the right fit while building experience. Start by learning - online courses or certificates can complement your job search while you highlight your passion, business knowledge, and relevant IT skills. Network with professionals, seek career guidance, and utilize online resources. Remember, a successful career is built on a combination of learning, skills, and experience. Choose the path that aligns with your learning style and timeline, and don’t be afraid to seek guidance as you navigate your journey.

All the very best for your career