Is it Possible to Change University After Scheduling a US Student Visa Appointment? | GyanDhan


You can remain in the US even after your F1 expires as long as you maintain the student status. It will not be an issue in your case, since you are starting another course. You can make it through the US embassy or consulate. Answering your question, it will be hard to schedule an interview appointment before getting a new I-20 form. Inform your new school and they will guide you in the process to get a new I-20 form.

To transfer your SEVIS to the new school, you have to report to the international cell of your new school within 15 days of the course’s start. Once you get the new I-20, you can easily schedule an appointment.

Hope the answer helps. Good luck with your studies in the US.


Hi Vishakha, Thanks for putting out such information on VISA and university changes.

I have a specific question for you. I have currently committed to a program and am yet to receive my i20. (Let’s call this University A)
Meanwhile I have been offered admission to a different program in my preferred University(Lets call this university B) .

How do I make the change from University A to University B ? At the moment I am going to receive my i20 from University A. Can I make changes to my i20 later ?

Changes would be in Program name, University, duration of program, Funding -cannot use Scholarship provided by University A.

Hi @Shaleen

I assume your program at University A is yet to start. So your status is called Initial, which means the student may transfer to a new school or is awaiting a change in the student status.

You can change your university from A to B. For that, contact your DSO (Designated School Official) of University A and inform your situation. You have to submit a written confirmation of transfer and the contact information of the new school’s (university B) DSO.

The DSO at the transfer-in school (university B) can create a Form I-20 issued for the reason for transfer. You can update the new i-20 with the necessary changes. Now the responsibility for your SEVIS record is entirely upon the new DSO.

Hope the answer helps. Reach out to the US embassy for queries related to your application via

Good luck with your studies in the US.
Hope this answer helps you!

Please do reply to this thread if you face any further issues. I’ll be happy to help you.


Hi Vishakha,

let me explain my case to you. I got my University A (UTD) admit in April and decided to go with it and completed all the DS forms, SEVIS fees, MRV receipts. I even booked my Dropbox appointment. After my dropbox, I was given a 221(g) form and asked to appear for an interview. Till this moment, I decide to go for UTD as it was my only admit. I also got my Visa interview appointment on June 1

Then on May 16th, I got admit to University B (WashU). After receiving my I-20, I quickly created a new DS form, included my new university details and submitted. Furthermore, I updated my profile in the CGI federal website and saved it. Then, I even did the SEVIS transfer process in the and done that just before my interview on “May 30th”.

During my interview, the officer asked me about my preferences and I clearly told my preference for WashU. I GOT MY VISA APPROVED !! after 5 days, I saw the blunder that my visa stamping had “UTD”’ instead of WashU !!

I mailed to the embassy about this error. They replied saying that everything is correct from their end and if i need to do the correction in the stamping, I have to pay a new MRV receipt. Then they can proceed with the correction.

ufff. this made me tensed !

now, I need your help regarding this.

  1. If I pay the receipt, will I be called for the interview again?
  2. did I make any mistake from my side in the process?
  3. Can I still continue with the UTD stamping in my F1 visa and study at my desired University(WashU)?
  4. Whats the best bet? because, I have already booked my flight tickets to st louis on june 24:(


Thank you for reaching out and sharing your situation with me. I understand that you have encountered an unexpected error in your visa stamping process, and I’m here to assist you. Based on the information you provided, it appears that there was a mistake in the visa stamping, where the stamp reflects “UTD” instead of “WashU,” which is your preferred university. I can imagine how stressful and concerning this must be for you. Regarding your questions, let me address them one by one:

  • If you choose to pay the new MRV receipt for correction, it is unlikely that you will be called for another interview. Usually, such corrections can be made without the need for a new interview. However, I recommend contacting the embassy directly to confirm their specific process for correction and whether any additional steps or documents are required.

  • From the information you provided, it seems that you followed the necessary steps and updated your DS form and profile with the correct information after receiving the admit from University B (WashU). However, it is always advisable to double-check all the documents and information before submitting them to avoid any potential errors.

  • Despite the incorrect visa stamping mentioning “UTD,” you can still continue with the UTD stamping in your F1 visa. However, it is essential to inform the Designated School Official (DSO) at WashU about this situation and provide them with the correct I-20. They will guide you on the necessary steps to ensure your SEVIS record reflects accurate university information.

  • Considering your flight tickets are already booked to St. Louis for June 24th, it would be wise to discuss your situation with both the embassy and the DSO at WashU to explore the best possible options. They can provide guidance based on your specific circumstances and help you make an informed decision.

I understand that this situation has caused you stress and uncertainty, but rest assured that there are ways to address it. It is crucial to maintain open communication with the embassy and the DSO, as they are the best resources to guide you through this process. Wishing you the best of luck in resolving this matter and pursuing your desired studies at WashU. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.

Hi @vishakha.bhagia

Thank you for your prompt response!! I really appreciate it. Here are my questions:

  1. How to pay the new MRV fees? could you please list the step-by-step procedure for it? As this is a unique case.

  2. When asked my WashU DSO, she said that continuing with the present visa would be a problem asked me to change it or re apply for the visa( she was rude!!)

  3. I have emailed to the embassy about the possibilities of an interview when paid the new MRV fees. I would keep you posted on this.

  4. But, I am really worried if they ask me to come again for the interview, also, after the submission of my passport, if they delay the correction process, again it becomes the problem. Do you how much time would they take for the correction process?

thank you!!

pls reply !!


To pay the new MRV fees, please follow the step-by-step procedure outlined below:

  1. Visit the official website of the embassy or consulate where you had your visa interview.
  2. Look for the “Visa Fees” or “Pay Visa Fees” section on their website.
  3. Select the appropriate visa category and proceed to the payment page.
  4. Enter the required details, such as your passport number, SEVIS ID, and other relevant information.
  5. Choose the payment method that is most convenient for you, such as credit/debit card or online banking.
  6. Complete the payment process as instructed on the website.
  7. Make sure to save or print the payment confirmation receipt for future reference.

Regarding your WashU DSO’s response, I apologize if you had a negative experience. It is important to consider their advice regarding the visa situation. I would recommend seeking further clarification from your DSO or consulting with an immigration attorney to understand the best course of action based on your specific circumstances.

Regarding the possibility of an interview after paying the new MRV fees, it is best to wait for a response from the embassy. They will provide you with the necessary information regarding any potential interview requirements.

As for the correction process timing, it can vary depending on the workload and internal procedures of the embassy. It is challenging to provide an exact timeframe, but typically, corrections are processed as quickly as possible to ensure minimal inconvenience. I recommend staying in touch with the embassy and following up on the progress of your case.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Vishakha Bhagia

i paid it through ustraveldocs website ans sent the softcopy of the receipt to the embassy email.

I got my visa approved for Univ A but today I received acceptance from Univ B and I want to go to Univ B. Should I schedule a visa interview again? Or can I ask for SEVIS fee transfer (before entering US) or I need to go to Univ A (after entering US) and ask for transfer?
Is it possible to transfer SEVIS fee before entering US and directly joining Univ B on arrival?
Please note the start date of the courses at Univ A and Univ B have lesser than 30 days difference.
Please guide me. I do want go to travel back and forth in US as both my universities are quite far (east-west coast)

Hi @D_P

I understand you now wish to attend University B instead of University A and are wondering about the visa and SEVIS fee transfer process. Here are some guidelines:

Visa Interview: Since you have already received your visa approval for University A, you have two options regarding the visa:

  • Schedule a new visa interview: You can schedule a new visa interview and inform the embassy or consulate about your change in university choice. During the interview, explain the situation and provide the necessary documentation about your acceptance at University B.
  • Use the existing visa for University A: It is possible to use your existing visa for University A to enter the United States. However, remember that the visa was issued based on your intent to study at University A, and immigration officers may ask questions about your change of plans when you arrive in the US. Be prepared to explain the situation and provide supporting documentation.

SEVIS fee transfer: The SEVIS fee is associated with the SEVIS ID specific to the university. Generally, SEVIS fee transfers are possible, but the process and eligibility criteria may vary.

Contact University B’s Designated School Official (DSO) and explain your situation to transfer the SEVIS fee. They will guide you through the SEVIS fee transfer process and provide the necessary instructions and documentation.

SEVIS fee transfers are typically done before entering the US, but the specific policies depend on the universities involved. Some universities may allow SEVIS fee transfers even after arrival, but confirming this with University B’s DSO is important.

Since the start dates of the courses at both universities have a difference of fewer than 30 days, it is possible to minimize travel and transfers within the US.

  • If you can complete the SEVIS fee transfer before your planned arrival in the US, and if University B allows SEVIS fee transfers before entry, you may be able to directly join University B without traveling to University A.

  • If the SEVIS fee transfer is not possible before entering the US or University B requires you to physically attend the university for the transfer process, you may need to travel to University A and then request a SEVIS record transfer to University B. This would involve notifying University A’s DSO and initiating the transfer process.

Remember: It’s crucial to contact the DSOs at both universities as soon as possible to understand their specific policies, procedures, and deadlines regarding visa and SEVIS fee transfers. They will provide accurate information and guide you through the necessary steps based on their respective university’s guidelines.

I hope the answer addresses your concerns. Kindly reach out to us for any further clarifications. Wish you all the best!

Hi @adwaidh ,
Thanks a lot for clarifying my doubts. If I may ask, what documentation would the CBP ask at the port of entry if I present my wish to Univ B directly (on Univ A visa) and has booked the tickets to go directly to Univ B (if Sevis fee transfer is done). How difficult can it be convince the officer?

Univ A - Lower ranked University, Got a scholarship there and overall is cheaper, 2 year course.

Univ B - Top University (ranked under top 50 in US), don’t know about scholarship yet, and overall it would be expensive, 1 year course.

(Both the courses are same (a STEM course), only difference is the duration of the course)

If looking at this, is it better to apply transfer after entering US?

Hi @D_P

Thank you for reaching out again. Here are some answers to your queries:

When presenting your case to the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officer at the port of entry, you must provide documentation supporting your intention to study at University B instead of University A. The list of documents includes the following:

  1. Passport
  2. Form I-20: Form I-20 by University B confirms your acceptance and eligibility for an F-1 student visa. Make sure the I-20 reflects your intention to study at University B.
  3. SEVIS fee payment receipt: You should have a receipt showing that you have paid the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) fee for University B.
  4. Acceptance letter: It’s essential to carry the acceptance letter from University B, which indicates that you have been admitted to the program.
  5. Financial documentation: You may be required to provide evidence of your ability to cover the expenses of studying at University B. This could include bank statements, scholarship letters, or other documents demonstrating your financial capacity.
  6. Flight itinerary: A confirmed flight itinerary to University B may help demonstrate your intention to study there directly.

When presenting these documents to the CBP officer, it’s important to be honest and clear about your intentions. Be prepared to explain why you decided to switch to University B, considering factors such as the ranking, duration of the course, and potential scholarship opportunities. Convince the officer that your decision is based on genuine academic and personal reasons.

Generally, it is better to initiate the transfer process before entering the US. This ensures that your SEVIS record is properly transferred and you maintain lawful status. However, if you cannot complete the transfer process before your departure, you can still discuss your situation with the Designated School Official (DSO) at University B after arriving in the US to understand the necessary steps and requirements for transferring your SEVIS record.

Remember that the final decision lies with the CBP officer, and the difficulty level in convincing them may vary. Being well-prepared with the appropriate documentation and providing a compelling explanation can increase your chances of a successful entry and transfer.

As I suggested earlier, contacting the DSO of University B is better. The DSO will guide you through the process and suggest the best solutions to your issues.

Hope my answer is clear to you. If you still have any queries, please reach out to us.

Thank you.

Hey any solution?

Hey Bhoomi,

Yes, it is possible to change the university after scheduling a U.S. student visa appointment, but there are certain steps and considerations you should keep in mind.

  1. Update SEVIS Information: If you have already received an I-20 form from the original university and the information has been entered into the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), you will need to contact the Designated School Official (DSO) at the original university to request an updated I-20 with the new information.
  2. SEVIS Transfer: If you are transferring from one U.S. institution to another, you may be able to request a SEVIS transfer. This allows you to maintain your current SEVIS ID and record when you change institutions. You should work with both the current and new DSOs to initiate the transfer.
  3. Update DS-160 Form: You may need to update your DS-160 form with the new university information. Log in to the U.S. visa application website and navigate to the DS-160 form to make the necessary changes.
  4. Schedule a New Visa Appointment: Once you have the updated I-20 and DS-160, you may need to schedule a new U.S. visa appointment with the U.S. embassy or consulate.
  5. Visa Fee: If you have already paid the visa application fee, check with the U.S. embassy or consulate if the fee is transferable to the new appointment. In some cases, you may need to pay the fee again.
  6. Communication with U.S. Embassy/Consulate: It’s crucial to inform the U.S. embassy or consulate about the changes and follow their guidance. They may have specific procedures for handling such situations.

Keep in mind that the visa application process can vary, and it’s essential to check with the U.S. embassy or consulate where you have scheduled your appointment for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Additionally, it’s advisable to make these changes well in advance of your scheduled appointment to allow for any processing time that may be required.

Hi i started my application on spring intake 2023 i have A university then i have booked my visa for dec then due to delay in loan process i haven’t gone to the biometric it got cancelled automatically and i havent payed sevis fee due to loan issue now for fall 24 intake i have the option for reschedule but i have better university B so how can i change my university is it a problem please help should I close and start a new application by paying again?

If you decide to change universities after obtaining your F1 visa but before entering the U.S., there are specific steps you need to follow regarding your SEVIS record. Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Transferring SEVIS Record: If you wish to transfer your SEVIS record from your initial university to the new university, you need to request a SEVIS transfer. This involves the following steps:
  • Contact the New University: Inform the new university of your intent to transfer and ensure they accept your SEVIS record transfer.
  • Coordinate with Both Universities: Both your initial university and the new university will need to coordinate the transfer. The Designated School Official (DSO) at your initial university will have to release your SEVIS record to the new university.
  • New I-20 Form: After the transfer, the new university will issue you a new Form I-20, reflecting the transfer and your new program details.
  1. Getting a New SEVIS Record: If you do not transfer your SEVIS record, you can obtain a new SEVIS record and a new Form I-20 from the new university. This process involves:
  • Requesting a New I-20: Apply to the new university and request a new Form I-20.
  • New SEVIS Fee: Pay a new SEVIS fee for the new SEVIS record associated with the new Form I-20.
  • Visa Interview: You may need to attend a new F1 visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with your new I-20. However, if you already have an F1 visa from your previous university, it is generally recommended to check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate whether a new visa interview is necessary.
  1. Informing the Initial University: Regardless of whether you transfer your SEVIS record or get a new one, you should inform your initial university of your decision to withdraw. If you decide to go for a new SEVIS record:
  • Cancel Initial SEVIS Record: Ask your initial university to cancel your existing SEVIS record. This ensures there are no complications with having multiple active SEVIS records.
  • Document Handling: Make sure to handle all documentation appropriately and maintain records of your communications with both universities for future reference.

In summary:

  • Transfer SEVIS Record: Coordinate with both universities to transfer the SEVIS record and get a new Form I-20.
  • New SEVIS Record: Obtain a new Form I-20 from the new university, pay the new SEVIS fee, and possibly attend a new visa interview.
  • Inform Initial University: Notify your initial university to cancel your existing SEVIS record if you’re opting for a new SEVIS record.

It’s essential to follow these steps meticulously to ensure your transition between universities is smooth and your immigration status remains valid. For specific advice tailored to your situation, it’s advisable to contact the DSOs at both the initial and new universities, and possibly consult with an immigration attorney.