I'm grappling with a deep sense of failure right now

Over the past two years, I’ve been putting in effort to join professional fraternities and organizations, making it to the interview stage each time, only to face rejection later on. I can’t figure out why I struggle so much during interviews, and it’s disheartening.

On top of that, my social life is pretty bleak. My roommates hardly acknowledge me, and my dating life is nonexistent. Family dynamics are strained, and to add to the stress, my dad informed me that I can’t continue my job due to a car accident. I feel lost and uncertain about the direction of my life, and the thought of breaking free from poverty to secure a comfortable future for my family seems like an unattainable dream. Despite putting in a lot of effort, it feels like everything is falling apart, and I can’t even identify something I excel at to make it all worthwhile.

Hey, it seems like you’re dealing with a tough time right now, and it’s completely normal to feel overwhelmed with the challenges you’re facing. Let’s pause for a moment, take a breath, and tackle things one step at a time.

It sounds like there are hurdles in different areas of your life, from career goals to personal relationships, and these difficulties are taking a toll on your overall well-being.

If you’re comfortable, let’s begin by discussing your experiences with interviews. Exploring what’s happening there might give us some insights and help us figure out a starting point to move forward.

You can ping me here in personal messages.

I guess the way I interview is not the best as well. My answers are not satisfactory.

perhaps you should look into the career center! they have workshops and 1-on-1s

Why are you putting expectation on yourself to retire your family?

Not wanting to stereotype since I don’t know the OP but that is common in Asian cultures where children are supposed to take care of their ageing parents.

This is a pretty standard expectation in collectivistic cultures. Not so much in America, but you’ll see it in ethnic groups that haven’t fully assimilated to the idea of individualism. My uncle took care of his retired mother at home for almost a decade.

I see. I guess individualism is equally as common as collectivism for us. It’s just painted as more optional.

That makes sense! My family is pretty mixed and they sort of paint it as a moral failing. Basically like if you don’t respect and take care of your elders, then there’s something fundamentally wrong with you. Definitely not a mindset I agree with, but they’re really traditional.