I'm facing a tough time adjusting to the community vibe

I’m facing a tough time adjusting to the community vibe at Northeastern, mainly because of how the co-op program shapes the campus atmosphere. Despite trying to get involved in business clubs and a sorority, I just don’t feel like I fit in. I expected a more interactive and supportive environment in classes, but it’s not happening. My GPA is at 3.5, which isn’t top-notch. I’m stuck with a choice: stay one more semester to aim for my dream schools like Vandy, WFU, or USC, or Tulane this fall. The co-op at Northeastern is a big plus, especially for someone eyeing a career in consulting, and I doubt I’d find similar opportunities at a state school. But after visiting a friend at Tulane and seeing other schools in Boston, I keep regretting my decision not to join BC’s business program or Wake, feeling like I wasted my high school efforts. I thought college would be different, more welcoming. I’d appreciate any advice. Does it eventually get better here? Is the co-op worth these struggles? Should I hang in there for another semester to switch to a dream school, or is transferring to a state school a smarter move? If anyone knows someone who transferred from here, I would love to hear about their experience.

It might just be a tough phase adjusting to college life, which is completely okay. It’s crucial to understand why you’re feeling unsettled before making any big decisions. Honestly, transferring with a 3.5 GPA might not land you in a better college. And if the new place doesn’t meet your expectations either, then it’s a tricky situation. Remember, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, and it’s not practical to keep moving at every challenge.

What worked for me was taking the initiative to create class group chats or Discord servers. I also organized small events unrelated to coursework to make friends. This approach really helped me find my crowd.

One last thing – Northeastern offers a lot of freedom, something I highly valued. Post sophomore year, I barely had to spend 3 hours on campus daily, leaving me free to explore downtown Boston. This freedom helped me grow up faster than many of my friends who didn’t attend Northeastern, as they didn’t get this kind of independance until after graduation, when job hunting started.

Putting your mental health first is crucial because without being in a good place personally, it’s tough to thrive professionally. It’s essential to really check out your colleges. Drop in on a lecture, see what the clubs are like. You can definitely find your crowd at places like Northeastern, but if it’s not clicking for you, make sure the next place will.

Ignore the previous advice, haha. Being part of a co-op doesn’t make up for feeling down or not having close friends. You can find internships, research opportunities, and jobs at pretty much any college. Choose a place where you’ll be happy, because that’s where you will truely flourish.

I stumbled upon your post and, even though I’m quite a bit older and didn’t attend your school, I felt compelled to share my thoughts based on life experience. It seems like young folks today face a ton of pressure and there’s a lot of wrong info out there about needing to have everything figured out, especially regarding college leading to jobs. Sure, college is a pathway to a career in some fields, but it’s really meant for you – for making friends, exploring different subjects to see what you like, and a time for making mistakes now instead of later in life. It’s all about exploring and taking risks.

I’ve always believed it’s better to regret the things you’ve done than the ones you haven’t. This belief has led me to live a truly extraordinary life. If you feel deep down that you’d be happier elsewhere, I encourage you to follow that instinct. If you’re thinking of taking a break from school to work, travel, or just move somewhere new, go for it. You seem like someone with a big heart, keen on making genuine connections – trust me, there are plenty of people out there looking to connect with someone like you. So, don’t hesitate to leave if that’s what feels right.

Being in your 20s isn’t a walk in the park. The good news? As you get older, many of those fears, insecurities, and self-doubts start to fade away. What got me through those tough times was having at least one friend who truly understood me.

As for college, I chose one without grades or required courses because I wanted to learn for myself. Having ADHD, major depression, and dyslexia meant traditional tests weren’t for me. I wanted an education that was purely for my own growth, and that’s exactly what I got. The friendships and connections I made there have supported me in making friends all over the world.

You’re asking smart questions and probably have a hunch about what to do. If you’re second-guessing your choice, it’s time to think about making a switch. Honestly, there’s nothing at NEU that you can’t find elsewhere… absolutely nothing. I’ve got a buddy at Penn State who landed a Co-Op at SpaceX in California all on their own. The university didn’t play a part; they hustled and made it happen. Does NEU offer paths that might steer you a bit? Sure. But can you pursue and learn everything you want at another place? Absolutely. Change is daunting and might seem like you’re about to mess up big time, but in hindsight, you’ll be glad you chose to chase something better.

Maybe consider studying abroad for a semester… or even taking a break for a semester. All the best!