I think , I'm done!

I think I'm done. Since I was about 10 or 11, computer science (CS) was a big part of my life. I used to mess around making simple websites and apps, and this passion led me to pursue a CS degree. Fast forward four years, and I'm out. I couldn't keep up with my classmates due to burnout and some personal issues. Just the thought of coding started making me anxious during my last year, and I haven't coded since I finished college. Considering how tough the job market is for freshers in CS, and now that I've got a job in a retail shop where I'm actually happy and have a good balance between work and life, I'm thinking of giving up on CS. I'm okay earning less if it means not pushing myself into a job that doesn't make me happy anymore.

Just needed to get this off my chest. It’s something I’ve been thinking about since I graduated. Is anyone else feeling this way too?

Feeling the same, yaar. The main tension for me is the job market. After applying to 800+ jobs, the only interviews I’m landing are those one-sided HireVue AI ones. Maybe got two online assessments only. Honestly, there’s no zeal left in me to practice coding problems when I’m not even getting to face those kinds of interviews. And with all this job applying, I’ve hardly done any real coding. It’s like I’m in a fight I can’t win, just wasting time. How can I ever stand out compared to those laid-off from big tech companies? I didn’t graduate from a fancy college or land any big-name internships. I’m thinking it might be time to give up and switch to a more stable field that’s not overrun with competition.

Yeah. Same here. I still like this field, and I want to get a job in it, but the applications are making it so hard. I feel so useless, and I’m getting so depressed, and feel like a failure.

If you’ve found something more fulfilling and you’re enjoying life more, then it’s the right decision.

Please what other industries are you looking into? So we can all flood that market as well. :joy:

In all seriousness I tried getting into Controls Engineering but they look down on my CS degree once I go to a shit school. I also think maybe I seemed desperate or something cus I am

I'm in the same boat, buddy. Finished my studies in December and for the past 7 months, I've been slogging at a startup. The stress was crazy, and then they had to let me go because they were running out of money. Now, I'm on the lookout for any job that pays. I'm even considering working on a ferry as a deckhand or in a restaurant, and surprisingly, I'm quite excited about it. I'm tired of constantly having to catch up with new tech stuff – it felt like scaling one mountain only to find a taller one waiting. I'm looking forward to simple chats with regular folks, not always trying to prove who's the brightest. Here's hoping things turn around for both of us. 👍🏽