How The New TCS Rules Made Abroad Education Loans More Rewarding? | GyanDhan

No investment can get you a higher return than the one on your education. Adding to the purely economic reasons to go for an abroad education loan are the new TCS rules introduced by the Government of India. Union Budget 2020 has brought a new rule according to which a 5% Tax Collection at Source (TCS), under LRS, is applicable to the forex remittances of INR 7 lakh or more in a financial year. This new rule on foreign exchange transactions is applicable from 01 October 2020.  Authorized dealers such as banks and remittance companies will collect the 5% TCS once the foreign remittance made by a person crosses INR 7 lakh in a financial year.  The TCS applicable to educational expenses arranged through an abroad education loan is only 0.5%. Therefore, students taking an education loan to finance the abroad studies will have a notable saving on the tax amount.  Let us traverse through the details of the new remittance rules and also understand how will these changes affect the students.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/new-tcs-rules-abroad-education-loans

Are there any exemptions from non-taxpayers?

How will the TCS be deducted?

No, there is no exemption for non-taxpayers. Anyone who is remitting the funds is covered under the TCS rules. PAN Card is mandatory to show during the remittance process otherwise the deductable TCS will be 10%.

TCS will be deducted at source when the funds are remitted. Let us take an example. If Suresh has to send 10 lakh to his brother in the USA, he will be charged 5% TCS on 3 lakh which is Rs. 15000. Therefore, Suresh will need to give the remittance service provider Rs 10,15,000 in order to send the 10 lakh amount to his brother.

If bank disburses the loan amount in my pesonal account and then If I pay tuition fee from my account would still the tcs be 0.5%?

Hi @Aniket_Nighot
What is your target country to study? The answer will vary accordingly.

If you want to know more about TCS then read our blog at GyanDhan website - How the New TCS Rules Made Abroad Education Loans More Rewarding?