GRE - All You Need to Know | GyanDhan

Started in 1936 and developed and conducted by the test maker ETS (which also conducts the TOEFL), the GRE or the Graduate Record Examination is a standardized test held in both computer and paper-based mediums. GRE scores are required for admission to graduate and graduate business programs and hence is an important part of the application process for those students who are applying to graduate and business schools. Apart from the GRE general test, GRE subject tests to are there. The subject tests are in psychology, mathematics, physics, literature in English, biology, and chemistry. GRE scores are accepted by thousands of universities all around the world, especially those in the US and Canada. Students can check here to know if their university and course accept GRE scores for admission to graduate programs.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/gre-all-you-need-to-know

What is a good GRE?

A 320+ is generally considered a good score. Each university has its own list of admissible scores, so it may vary depending on the university you are targeting. But a score of 320+ would make you eligible for several universities.
Check out this blog for a list of GRE scores accepted in various US universities -

How many times can we write the GRE? I have already given it twice but I am looking to improve my score.

You can take the exam once every 21 days. This applies even if you have canceled the previous test scores and are no longer using them. Also, you can take the exam five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period. That is, you can take the exam five times in a 12-month period.

hi, i’ve been researching on prep books for the GRE, i decided to just reply here instead of starting a new thread. would you recommend any of these prep books?

Manhattan Prep 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems
Kaplan GRE Prep Plus 2020
Barron’s Essential Words for the GRE

I saw these recommended by ExamCave and would like a second opinion before I purchase any of these books

Hi @Andrew_Thornton,

1. Manhattan Prep 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems - This is a must-buy book for students who struggle with GRE Quant. Math sections are given chapter-wise with hundreds of GRE questions. This book has a thorough Quant section. You might have to refer to other books for the Verbal Reasoning Section. Reading Comprehension questions are a mixed-bag.

2. Kaplan GRE Prep Plus 2020 - Though Kaplan is a big name, this book is satisfactory. This book is good for boosting your confidence and early practice. It has good tips for solving questions but you should not rely on this book for hardcore practice.

3. Barron’s Essential Words for the GRE - This is a good book for improving your vocabulary.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you! Might go on and buy the Manhattan prep book. :slight_smile: