Discussion on Centennial college

How is the Centennial college for international students? What is the fee structure?
Any scholarships for Canada?

Is University of Toronto better than Centennial college?

Centennial college is a reputed institution in Canada. The community college has 5 campuses -

  • Morningside campus - Scarborough
  • Progress Campus - Scarborough
  • Ashtonbee Campus - Scarborough
  • Story Arts Center - East York
  • Downsview Aerospace Hub

Each campus houses different departments and schools. You’d have diverse options in terms of courses. The college boasts of admitting more than 12000 international students. So, it can be inferred that the college is a top choice among the international student body. Coming to the education imparted, the college offers more than 260 programs and “innovative and experiential learning with laboratory instruction, co-op education and industry work placements”. The college offers internships and co-op work placements, which will help you financially.

Tuition fee - the fee may vary a bit depending on the course you opt for but the overall fee is-

  • First year (two semesters) - $14,502
  • Second year (two semesters) - $14,080
  • Third year (two semesters) - $14,080

Scholarships - There are many external scholarships you can apply for. The college also provides a merit-based scholarship.

I found this blog on GyanDhan’s website. I think this will be useful - Canada Scholarships for Indian Students

Would it be worth doing Master of Engineering from University of Toronto?
How much would it cost? Are there any scholarships?

The University of Toronto is one of the best universities in Canada. It costs way less than US universities, though more than other Canadian colleges. The average tuition fee for graduate courses is CA$ 44,000 annually. There are many scholarships that you can apply for that will lessen your financial burden. I found this blog on GyanDhan’s website. I think it will be helpful - Canada Scholarships for Indian Students

I also found this blog - 4 Top Universities in Canada For You When Considering MBA or STEM Courses. It is quite helpful.

The University of Toronto offers MEng in many different courses such as-

  • Aerospace Science and engineering
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
  • Cities Engineering and Management
  • Civil Engineering
  • Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Material Science and Engineering
  • Mechanical and Industrial Engineering

The university is known for its engineering department and is top-ranked in Canada. In fact, there are tremendous student reviews of the department. So, I would definitely recommend the university for engineering. There are good placement opportunities as well.

The fees would depend on the course you choose. You can expect to pay anywhere between CA$ 40,000 to CA$ 60,000 annually. Apart from external scholarships, the college also offers merit-based scholarships. You would be considered for the same during the admission process. You will not have to apply for them separately.

If you are asking about the total cost of studying MEng from Canada, then my guess would be - anywhere between tuition fees + CA$ 10,000, annually. This is an approximate figure and will depend on your spending habit. Hope this helps.

Centennial College is quite favorable for international students. This is because of the following reasons:

  1. The college has over 12,000 international and exchange students on campus. It has hosted more than 50,000 international students in its 53-year history.
  2. Currently, the college has students from over 100 countries around the world.
  3. The college has recently announced 23 online diploma programs for domestic and international learners.
  4. The college often goes the extra mile to show international students that they truly belong here if they are eager to learn, supporting them on their journey to find employment and pave a career path in Canada.
  5. The college welcomes more international students than any other Canadian college, with over 170,000 proud Centennial College alumni around the world.

For international students, the annual fee for certificate and diploma courses is around $16,500; while that for degree courses is around $20,500.

Centennial College is offering two scholarships to international students. One scholarship is awarded to an international student based on merit; the other to an international transfer student from China based on academic performance. Both scholarships are offered to eligible students who have successfully completed two consecutive semesters.

Hii, thanks for your earlier response.
Please tell me about the Electrical and Computer Engineering course of Centennial college? Does the college offer a postgraduate degree in the course?

Hi, the college does not offer a postgraduate degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. However, they do offer the following courses -

  • Electrical Engineering Technician - College Diploma
  • Electrical Engineering Technology (optional co-op) - advanced diploma
  • Electronics Engineering Technician - College Diploma
  • Electronics Engineering Technology (optional co-op) - advanced diploma

The course you are looking for might be closest to the Electrical Engineering Technician, which is a diploma of 2 years.
I hope this answers your question.

Centennial college offers Graduate and Postgraduate certificates. They are a shorter qualification than a masters degree. The difference is also in the number of credits required. An average of 15 credits are required to complete the Grad cert. Additionally, they sometimes form a part of the Masters’ degree and therefore, sometimes seen as ‘equivalent’ to a masters degree. If you do get into a Grad cert. program, you will be eligible to transfer to a bigger university for a Masters degree. Otherwise, Grad Certificates are best for people who have work experience and need a degree to further their career but can’t invest the same money or time in a Master’s program.

Makes sense. My background is in ECE. I have done a few internships but I don’t have any full-time experience. So should I go for the course that Survo suggested?

The college also has Electrical Engineering Technology, which is with Co-op. Both courses are post-secondary programs. However, with co-op, the course is of 3 years and the Electrical Engineering Technician course is of 2 years. The selection of the course depends on your career plans. If you choose the 2-year course, it will prepare you for electrical environments. I believe more options will be available to you in terms of employment opportunities if you choose the 3-year program. Industries like energy (petroleum and electrical generation), process/manufacturing, construction/engineering, telecommunications, IT networks, and intelligent building systems.

Can you tell about the Co-op program? Are there any requirements? I had thought of pursuing a postgraduate degree, course-based. I’m not really interested in research-based programs.

The co-op option will provide you on-field experience as you will be working as an employee along with your studies.

You will have to apply for the co-op program in your fourth semester. There is a requirement of a good academic record to get selected into the program. If selected, your diploma will show the co-op credential.

Requirements -

  • 80% courses should be completed from your 1st and 2nd year
  • A minimum C (60%) grade in COMM-170/171
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (this has to be maintained for the duration of the program)
  • You must be legally eligible to work in Canada

However, meeting the requirements won’t necessarily mean that you will be selected for the program. So try to maintain a pristine record and take extra initiative to get selected.