Did my BA in Economics , but landing a good job was tough🤦‍♂️

Did my BA in Economics , but landing a good job was tough. Took me two years post-graduation to secure a job with a 55K annual salary. Now, I’m considering further studies to broaden my career opportunities. I’m torn between pursuing an online MBA, which could take around a year to a year and a half to complete, or opting for a BS in Accounting within the same timeframe, also online. I’m leaning more towards the MBA, even though it’s a bit pricier, but for the purpose of this discussion, let’s not worry about the cost. I’d love to hear your thoughts, especially from those who’ve pursued an online MBA from a state college. How did it work out for you?

Most folks here might not favor online programs, thinking full-time is the only way to go because they might not be aware of all the options.

But truly, anything’s possible. You can even start from a community college and make it into banking if you’re dedicated. A degree won’t magically make opportunities fall into your lap, but it definitely helps in getting more interviews, which ups your chances of landing a job.

If you’re already in accounting, shifting to another finance role shouldn’t be too hard, except maybe for the very top-tier finance jobs. You could look at roles in Financial Planning & Analysis or treasury for a start. My advice would be to gather around 3-5 years of work experience before thinking about an MBA. There’s no rush to get one right now.

Opting for an online MBA might not be the best choice unless it’s sponsored. Essentially, the knowledge offered by an online MBA can be self-learned. Moreover, positions that favor MBA qualifications likely attract applicants with more prestigious MBAs. If you’re aiming to specialize in a specific field, pursuing a targeted certification could be a more focused and effective strategy.