Types of US Visas and its Importance | GyanDhan

The new rule says “Prospective students should apply no more than 3 weeks prior to their class start date”. Will I be able to complete the visa process within that time frame and is there a higher chance of rejection?

As a follow-up to the question about What are your plans after graduate studies in the US. Is it okay, if I mention that I intend to continue grad studies via a PhD??

My sister’s f1 visa was revoked recently. Will this have an impact on my chances of obtaining F1 visa?

The new rule says “Prospective students should apply no more than 3 weeks prior to their class start date”. Will I be able to complete the visa process within that time frame and is there a higher chance of rejection?

If I get my Visa approved before my program start date but my visa stamped passport doesn’t arrive in time to start my education, can the same visa be used for spring next year? Can my I20 change but I use the same Visa.

Edit
Say visa appointment is on 24th August and program starts on 2nd September

I have saved money from my past work. Can I use it to fund my education in US, if it’s enough? Or is it necessary to mention family funds?

Replying on behalf of the speaker -

Do bring in all of your paper work, including a letter from your lender saying that 90% of expenses are covered. It is really important that you are able to explain this to the visa officer in a clear way in a very short amount of time. You have to able to explain how you will be managing your expenses instead of just showing the documents. If the officer asks for the paperwork corresponding to your explanation, then you can show it to them.

The officer generally looks for whether you are able to pay for tuition or not. There is no straightforward rule regarding the amount that has to be shown. It’s more about the understanding that you have a way to fund your education.

Consular officers generally like it when people apply from their home district. But this is a very special year - there are a lot of travel restrictions and travel bans. So, I think if you have a good reason for applying from a third country, that reason is much more likely to be accepted this year. But it will depend on the officer and how you explain yourself.

Generally, officers do not like it when students apply from a third place. There’s always a degree of risk. But if you have a good reason - for example, you might be studying for the last four years in Canada, the officer will see that you have good ‘ties’ to the place and it makes sense for you to apply from there instead of traveling back to India to apply for a US visa.

Just keep in mind that you have to have a good reason that is acceptable to the officer. And the risk is that if the reason is not acceptable to the officer, they may just send you back to your home country to apply.

Yes, I don’t see a problem with that. Assuming that you know all the rules of when you have to turn in your passport. For example, when you are applying to the US Embassy, they might need your passport and the same for the Canadian Embassy. So, make sure you have the timeline figured out.

I think it depends on what type of visa you are applying for. If there is a good reason and you fit in for an expedited visa appointment, I actually think the student visa appointments are considered priority, so you might qualify.
But there is really no harm in trying for an expedited appointment. The worst that can happen is that it can get denied and you will have to wait for another appointment.

Congratulations!
No, that is not a red flag. I think its great when students are looking at other options. I think it is more strange when students only apply to one university, unless you have a good reason.

I would say it depends on why your visa was denied. But the good thing is that it’s been a while since 2008. So it is probably not going to seen as importantly as if you had gotten your visa denied last year. That is in your favor. But again, it depends on how qualified are you to be a student in the US, how are your test score, your living arrangement in the US.
It is a good idea to be prepared since you’ve already had one visa refusal. You don’t want your next one to be refused.

Nobody really knows when they are going to start regular appointments. And I think the reason why they started doing student visa appointments is because the State Department makes students a priority. The problem is also that a lot of US diplomats went back home to Washington DC in March when they stopped doing visa interviews. As a result, the embassies around the world are hugely understaffed and this includes India. So, that’s why, with the resources that they have, they are making student visas a priority. It will depend on how this goes. If they have all that done in control, I imagine they will start regular appointments.

There are no responses that one size fits all. You might memorize something, or you are not being yourself, or are really nervous are some of the things that ticks off the officers. There is not right answer. Argo can help you with this and help you figure out to say the right things. But, during the interview, just relax and be yourself. That’s a really important part of the process.

It depends on how well you explain yourself. Does it make sense to have another Master’s degree and what are your career aspirations, where do you intend to go with degree and why will it help you are some of the questions that you should think about beforehand. Visa officers are aware when students are applying for a student visa for some other purpose. Your motivation in the US and why you are getting a second degree really matters because the officers want to make sure you are using the visa for the right reasons.
People do get a second Master’s degree, change careers. It is just how you present it.

It’s been an interesting year for visas and immigration law in general. Things are constantly changing but what doesn’t change is the Officer working behind the window. That officer might not hold the same viewpoint as the current US president. So, as long as you are upfront about yourself and you are confident, hopefully you will have a good chance of getting that visa.
In terms of why things and questions have changed, a lot of that is coming from upper management. Keep that in mind that the process itself is still the same, even if it seems that there are changes in the forms or the questions that they are asking. It is ultimately to determine if you are eligible to travel to the US to do what you intend to do.

The regular rule is that you can only apply for a student visa within a 120 days of when you start classes, which is 4 months before. Even if you get your visa approved, you cannot enter the country 30 days before your classes start.

Yes, usually it does. It depends on what type of visa you are applying for. I think it can help in student visas. Employment is an important factor in tourist and employment-based visas.

It is a valid reason.
I don’t think it will matter if you return to India or directly go to the US. But double-check all the travel regulations because there are certain restrictions. Double-check all the rules regarding the travel ban, quarantine rules, etc. In terms of the visa, you can either go back to India or go direct, it won’t matter.

If I were you, I would just try to contact them whether through email or through the system. Just explain to them that you don’t need the emergency appointment anymore. It’s a good idea to do that instead of just not sowing up for the interview. In that way, you have notified them and somebody who needs the appointment will probably be able to get it.