Path to Permanent Residency in Australia | GyanDhan

Australia figures among the top study abroad destinations in the world for Indian students. Don’t be a surprise if every fifth Indian student you speak to among the populace planning to study abroad, has Australia in mind. Are you also looking to study, and possibly settle down in Australia? In this article, we outline a student’s journey to securing a permanent residency in Australia.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/Path-to-permanent-residency-in-Australia

how long does it take to get Australia PR in general? how many points are required in 2020?

The general wait time after you have applied for the PR is 9 to 14 months. The processing time depends a lot on the visa category. You can improve your chances of getting a PR by staying in Australia after completing your degree and gain work experience with post-study work visa.
The best route for international students to apply for PR is the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189).

The eligibility criteria for PR via Skilled Independent Visa is -

• minimum of 65 pints.
  • occupation should be on the Skilled Occupation List
    Students must submit an ‘expression of interest (EOI)’ on SkillSelect. After submitting, they should wait to get an ‘invitation’ to apply for the visa. Apply for the visa within 60 days of invitation.

Can I bring my family to Australia on my student visa?

Yes, you can bring family members on your student visa. For a student visa, your family is -

• your partner
  • you and your partner’s dependent child.

You can also invite your family to visit you temporarily on a visitor visa. Though, you won’t be able to sponsor a family member. For that, you will have to become a permanent resident of Australia.