University of Minnesota

Get real-time information about University of Minnesota from seniors who have gone through the whole process

This webinar session will be hosted by Abinash Sinha, who is currently pursuing his MS in Computer Science from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. He will volunteer an hour of his time to answer your queries. Before Minnesota, Abinash completed his B.Tech. Honours in Instrumentation Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. Post undergraduate studies, Abinash worked with JSW Steel Ltd; Friends Union For Energising Lives (FUEL); Oracle Financial Services Software Limited; ICICI Bank at different capacities. During his Masters at the University of Minnesota, Abinash worked as a Graduate Research Assistant (Summer Term) and Graduate Student Researcher. Currently, he is an intern (Mobile Business Unit) - Applied ML at Micron Technology, San Francisco Bay Area.

Here is how the Senior AMA works:

1. Ask Qs now: You can start asking your questions right away right here.
  2. Answers via video: On Friday, October 18th, at 5 PM, Abinash will answer your Qs via a webinar, which you can join here.
  3. Answers transcribed for future reference: We will transcribe Abinash’s answers and post them in response to your questions on this page.
1 Like

Hi Abinash, hope you are doing good and thanks for helping out…this is Raunak here…am currently a 4th year B.Tech(CS) student in Vellore Institute if Technology, Chennai campus. My gpa is 8.32 and gre 325 (q 167, v 158, awa 3) toefl is 108. Can you pl let me know my probability of getting an MS in CS sdmit at Minnesota for fall 2020. Appreciate and thanks in advance.

Hey Abhinash

What is the GRE cutoff for Minnesota …I am looking for masters in Mechanical…any input will be valuable…thanks…asking for a friend, she couldnt attend the session

Hi! Can you tell us the diffenrece between the MCS and MSCS programs? Is one more prestigious or challenging than the other? Do job recruiters prefer students from one program over other? In UCI, both MCS and MSCS programs have the same total credits, but the MCS program is only 5 sems long, which is shorter than the MSCS program. How’s this work?
Also, do you know if Minnesota considers MSCS rejects automatically for MCS program?
Thanks.

What is the minimum marks that we need to have in GRE and IELTS/TOEFL for admission?

UT Dallas or Minnesota, which one is better for masters in computer science…
Also, how are the MPS programs for CS in US generally…Does this course good in terms of job prospects. Does Minnesota or UTD provide professional masters in CS…
And what should we prefer?

Minnesota now has MCS and MSCS programs…

What is the job scenario in Minnesota? Do they have career fairs like other US varsities…
Please shed some light on internships and RA TA as well…
Can we approach the Profs while we are in India

How is the Business Analystics program at Minnesota…?

Also can you give some input on how to preparing SOP and LOR…
Should I try any consultancy to prepare my SOP…would you recommend that. My command on English is little weak…
My friends suggested that you should prepare SOP on your own…