How Work Experience Really Matters for Getting an MS Admit in US | GyanDhan

A lot of factors are taken into consideration by the admissions committee at a college in the US while reviewing a Master of Science (MS) application. The admission selection process depends upon a number of factors that interact with each other in various ways. As you must already know, the major parameters that are used to evaluate your profile are your GRE score , CGPA, TOEFL/IELTS score, Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and Statement of Purpose (SOP).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.gyandhan.com/blogs/Importance-of-work-ex

Hi,
I completed my bachelor’s in 2019 in Computer Science. Since then I’ve only taken freelance work and sometimes not worked for months at end. I did complete a short course on Udemy. Should I get some work ex to enhance my profile as I am planning to go to the US in Fall 2021? If not, what else can I do?

Work experience in a relevant field will definitely help your chances of admission. It is not mandatory but it does help as it is counted as a qualification. You can also showcase your freelance work in a way that highlights your key skills and areas, that also complement your career goals. The main goal of adding work ex in your profile is to showcase the skills that you have, the skills that you have acquired, and how you handle the work demands - these factors will also help you get a job after graduation.
To further enhance your profile, get good scores on your standardized tests such as GRE, TOEFL/IELTS. A well-written SOP can also tip the scales in your favor, even if you don’t have the said work ex. SOP is another tool that you can use to highlight your key skills.
Read here how to write an impressive SOP.