How did you find your time at the University of New Haven?

How did you find your time at the University of New Haven?

I pursued a master’s in computer science at UNH, and I’d give it a solid “ok” — about a 3 out of 5 stars. Having dipped my toes in various academic waters over the years, I can say computer science isn’t exactly UNH’s crown jewel, but it’s not a bad launching pad for CS either. The program’s on an upward trajectory, especially with new hires bringing fresh knowledge in hot areas like machine learning and robotics. Your mileage may vary, depending on your specific academic appetites, though.

UNH doesn’t swing as liberally as many other campuses these days, certainly nowhere near the Ivy League’s level. Being on the more conservative side myself, I find the prevalent liberal ethos at most institutions a bit much to gel with — but that’s just me.

Political leanings aside, UNH is pretty inclusive, offering a ton of support groups for just about any identity you can think of — and even some I hadn’t encountered before. The notable exception being “white males,” which seems par for the course in academia today. If you’re a vet, like me, there’s support for you too.

After a few years, though, regardless of your background or beliefs, you might find yourself itching to move on, as tends to be the case with most of the places.