Michigan Technological University

Michigan Technical University, also referred to as MTU, is a public research University that was established in 1885. The University offers more than 130-degree programs through its five schools. Its engineering school is called The College of Engineering at Michigan Technological University and it offers programs such as biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering-engineering mechanics, civil and environmental engineering, chemical engineering and electrical and computer engineering amongst others. The University was recently named “The Best in the Midwest” among all the possible programs by The Princeton Review. For more information Michigan Technological University Courses, Fee, Ranking & Admission | GyanDhan

Is the annual fee for indians really jst $18000 as you have mentioned?

Hi @Kaveri.Nair,

The fee mentioned on the website is indicative. The actual fee will depend on the number of credits you require for your chosen course and program.
If you can mention your target course, I will let you know the closest figure you can expect to pay.

I want to go ms in data science. What is the fee for that?

should i go for it from this university or would you recommend some other university for it?
preferably in the same cost bracket

The QS ranking of the college is way way too low. Is the college worth it?

@gunjann,
MTU doesn’t rank good among top world universities. But if you check within the US, it ranks pretty decent. The MTU ranks at 153 on US News. This ranking is based on all the disciplines of the college - Science, Business, Management, etc. Some may say, this ranking is also not that good. And, one of the factors that lowers the ranking is the acceptance rate of the college, which is quite high. The college has a higher acceptance rate than most colleges in the same bracket.

What is the acceptance rate for international students?

How are the job opportunities?

The acceptance rate for MTU is 57% to 74%. It also depends on the course you choose. Please mention the course you are targeting.

I am targeting M.Engg. what are some other colleges, you would suggest?

Should I go for M.Engg or an M.S, what is the difference?

How will it affect my chances of getting placed? My GPA is 8.2, GRE 312, 2+ work experience, but I dont have nay research publications?

Hi @gunjann,
Your credentials are good and will only help your admission. Publications are not necessary unless stated otherwise on the university website. You can also target colleges like Northwestern University, the University of California, Duke University, the University of Pennsylvania.

The main difference between MEng and MS is that Masters in Engineering is more focused on coursework, whereas, Masters in Science is more research-oriented. Semester hours is the same for both but MEng can be completed in 2 -3 semesters. MS will take 3-4 semesters.
Master of Engineering is a professional degree and will help in technical experience. Master in Science is a non-professional degree and is more appropriate if you want to continue your research and get into Ph.D.
Hope this helps you! For any further doubts, do post on the thread.