Ask Me Anything : Jobs & Visa After Masters In USA

Replying on behalf of the speaker -

Okay! Thanks for the question! I might not be able to answer this, partly because I don’t have a lot of connections on additive manufacturing. But in a recent conference in Chicago, that’s been a great topic of debate for me and some of my colleagues. All I could say, again this might not be useful to you, additive manufacturing is a budding field so there are a lot of companies who might be experimenting with it in the west coast, all the tech hubs. That’s probably one place where you can look for a job in additive manufacturing. But having a degree in itself might narrow down your options. If you have masters in additive manufacturing, which is a subsection of manufacturing, might kind of make it difficult but if you are really passionate about it and if you have a lot of expertise in it, I would say go for it. I am actually closely looking towards additive manufacturing. It’s a huge topic of debate and a great topic of interest for me personally. So, good luck with that!

If you are following American politics, if you are into CNBC, or for tech if you are looking into Bloomberg, all these channels are also trying to answer the same question. They are trying to predict what’s going to happen. The biggest thing is, we just can’t say what is going to happen. It is just a prediction and if you were to actually predict something that is going to happen, trust me you should not get a Masters degree. You should make it a full time gig and you are going to earn a lot of money, so, yeah! We don’t know what is going to happen. We are just going to be optimistic about the future and keep going. Your skill is what’s going to save you at the end of the day! So, just be skilled up in your particular profession and hope for the best that’s going to come along for you along your way!

Again, 3-D Manufacturing and all kinds of stuff, is kind of an upcoming thing. I follow a lot of tech and manufacturing intersections and a lot of that is going on in the west coast. As far as I know, some companies are actually researching it and making prototypes and products. So, to give you an example there is a company called Carbon. It does 3-D printing. So if you want to look into them that’s a really interesting company. From that you will get a feel of how companies are on the west coast. But I would say additive manufacturing is fairly developing and it’s not up to a full scale implementation, at least from what I know, I might be wrong. But I am fairly sure that it is on the west coast. Look up the company “Carbon” and you will be really interested in that!

I have been accepted to MS in data science at UNiversity at Buffalo. What’s the status Employability of students from this particular course and college . I read somewhere it is not that easy to seek a job from UB for Data science . I am quite worried , if you can provide any insight it would be very helpful

Hi, @Dhananjai_Sharma we reached to Bharath who was the speaker for this session and here is the suggestion from his side:
"
Hey Dhananjai, I’d definitely suggest you to reach out to any current or past students from the course-work or university to judge the quality of the coursework and get an understanding of the employability trends. Cold messaging on LinkedIn could be a good start. As far as Data Science in itself is concerned, it is an emerging profession and I have seen people with good coding skills and analytical abilities shine out there. Here are some resources you could use to gauge the coursework’s relevance to the industry: https://www.datacamp.com/resources/webinars/the-data-science-revolution-is-just-getting-started
https://www.datacamp.com/community/tutorials/data-science-industry-infographic
https://www.datacamp.com/community/blog/data-scientist-vs-data-engineer
"